Metropolitan College of New York
Request Information Apply Online Free

admissions at mcny


We can imagine that you have many questions related to gaining admission at MCNY. We have compiled a list of the most common asked questions by incoming international students. We suggest that you review this Q&A section before contacting an MCNY representative. You can use the Find (Crtl+F) feature on most computers to search for key words.

  1. Can I apply to MCNY online or is there a special application for international students?
    Online applications are reserved for domestic students only. At this time, all international students must download the MCNY International Student Application. The MCNY International Student Application can be found on the application page of our website. The application itself can be filled out electronically or by hand but must be printed or saved as a PDF file. International students can send completed applications directly to MCNY by post or as a PDF attachment. For students already in NYC, paper applications can be left at the front desk of the MCNY Office of Admission. Please note that there is no international student application fee.

  2. Is there an application deadline?
    Yes, April 1 for summer admission, August 1 for fall admission and December 1 for spring admission

  3. I am a current international at MCNY, can I get authorization to work?
    Our philosophy of Purpose Centered Education means you learn by doing, there employment or an internship is a component many of the majors offered at MCNY. While we don't offer on campus employment for students, MCNY has the authority to grant students CPT (curriculum practicum training) during their 2nd semester or after 5 months attendance. The College's Career Service Office assists students in learning about internship opportunities. This becomes possible because of the strong educational relationships the College develops with employers. OPT (Optional Practical Training) allows students to work full time for a period of 12 months upon graduating from a degree program. More information about OPT is available HERE.

  4. How can I get a student VISA?
    After you meet all the admission criteria, the Office of Admission will issue you a Form 1-20 which will allow you to apply for a visa at your local United States Embassy. For more Information about student Visas can be found by visiting the following website:

  5. Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
    Students whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of one of the approved English Language Assessments found on the undergraduate and graduate admission links for international students. Citizens of Canada, Australia and the UK may be exempt from the English language testing requirements.

  6. Where is Metropolitan College of New York located?
    MCNY is located in lower Manhattan on the cross streets of Varick and Canal. There is a subway stop next to campus and our students are minutes away from some of New York's most famous attractions. The nearest airports are Newark, JFK and LaGuardia.

  7. What is purposed centered education?
    The MCNY tradition ensures a breadth and depth of inquiry by allowing students to do a Constructive Action Project that they start during the first semester and complete upon graduation. Many of these projects lead students to employment opportunity and recognition from the private and public sectors. This allows all of our students to develop the tools and skills that allow lifelong learning. Top corporations and graduate schools agree that the best preparation for a professional career is a purposed centered education.

  8. What is the difference between a college and a university?
    College or university follows after high school, or secondary school. A college in the U.S.A. is not a high school or secondary school. College and university programs begin in the thirteenth year of school, usually when a student is 17 or 18 years old or older. A two-year college offers an Associate's Degree. A four-year college or university offers a Bachelor's Degree and many offer graduate degrees. MCNY offers Associate, Bachelors and Master's degrees. You can earn a Bachelor's Degree at either a college or a university. However, students in the U.S.A. prefer to use the word "college" rather than the word "university" when they talk about the four-year undergraduate program and the Bachelor's Degree. They say "going to college" and "a college degree" when they talk about undergraduate programs at either a college or a university.

  9. What makes MCNY unique?
    MCNY's academic curriculum blends the latest educational pedagogy with real world practical training. This combination allows students to develop analytical skills that prepare them for a successful and meaningful career. Our innovative curriculum is friendly to current working professionals and in fact, many of the professors at MCNY are leaders in the profession of a student's chosen course of study. MCNY is also located in the heart of lower Manhattan, minutes away from some of the world's most famous attractions. Our campus is a cultural melting pot and very indicate of the cultural diversity represented in our great State of New York. MCNY is considered a modern urban campus.

  10. How many students attend MCNY?
    Total enrollment at MCNY is about 1,100 students. Our student body represents a diverse student population which includes students from over 40 countries.

  11. How successful are MCNY graduates?
    MCNY prepares all of students whatever goals they choose to pursue after graduation by providing a solid academic foundation. We also offer career services which help guide many of our students to find employment opportunities upon graduation. Many of our graduates advance in their current profession, others take their Constructive Action Project and create lucrative business models. Many become leading educators, enter non-profit organizations and become agents for change.

  12. How selective is MCNY? How are admissions decisions made?
    MCNY looks at the overall application when making an admission's decision. We look for students who complete applications that are on time, thorough and meet all the required requirements for admission in their chosen degree. In addition, we enjoy students who communicate regularly with their appointed Enrollment Specialist.

  13. How does MCNY review International Baccalaureates, WAEC/WASSCE and my foreign university transcript?
    The Office of Admissions has experience in reviewing IB program credentials, and a variety of other scholastic systems from various countries including some undergraduate degrees for those pursuing graduate programs. African students who have taken the WAEC/WASSCE should submit both their transcripts and WAEC/WASSCE results slips, along with scratch card information so that we can verify their results. For more information visit

  14. Can I apply as a transfer student?
    Yes, official transcripts (certified and translated to English) are required from each college or university you have attended. In most cases, an external evaluation by WES, ECE or Globe may be required for Universities in non-English speaking institutions or institutions deemed necessary for evaluation by the Office of Admission.

  15. Can I apply with my O-Levels only?
    Yes, we can accept students after they have completed their O-Levels. Students will, however, be required to take the ACT or SAT. A TOEFL or IELTS score may not be substituted. Students wishing to use their O-Levels for entrance must meet the minimum ACT or SAT requirements.

  16. Does MCNY offer scholarships covering full tuition or full rides?
    MCNY does not provide full scholarship support for international students. However, students who demonstrate the highest academic potential and bring significant co-curricular interests to our campus will be considered for scholarships.

  17. What scholarships are offered for international students?
    International undergraduate students are eligible for scholarships of up to $6,800 for the duration of a chosen program. Graduate students are eligible for scholarships of up to $6,000 per year. Scholarship consideration is based on merit, test scores, recommendation letters and other criteria. Consideration will be given to all applicants who submit all required materials before application deadlines.

  18. What can I do to prepare for my departure?
    We encourage you to attend an EducationUSA pre-departure session. It is not mandatory for incoming international students but we feel these session are very valuable to incoming international students and parents. EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department's network of more than 400 advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate college or university in the United States. We have excellent relationships formed with Education USA officers throughout the world. Please visit EducationUSA for more information about pre-departure sessions.

  19. What are my housing and boarding options?
    MCNY does not provide room and board for students. We do partner with nearby housing facilities like EHS which provides many campuses in the area quality student housing near campus. Students are required to find their own housing whether it be through our partner housing companies or through other methods. All students are still required to demonstrate adequate funds for room and board through their affidavit of support and supporting financial documentation.

  20. How do MCNY students spend their free time?
    At MCNY, there are abundant opportunities to have fun and get involved in different activities sponsored by the Student and Career Service Offices not to mention the wealth of activities New York has to offer. From restaurants, theatre, recreational and social leagues, students never find a dull moment in NYC. Many of the international students end up creating social networks of their own and with their cohorts.

  21. How do I obtain a visa to study at MCNY?
    Your admission package includes an acceptance letter and the I-20 form with specific instructions on obtaining a visa.

  22. What should I bring from home to the United States?
    Your necessities should include any prescription medicine, glasses, or other medical supplies that may not be available in the States. You will need warm clothes for the winters in NYC, although these can be purchased once you arrive. Most of this information will be sent to you via email, shortly after your enrollment has been confirmed.

  23. Is there an application fee?
    No, MCNY does not require an application for the paper or online international student application.

  24. Is there a deposit I need to make if I am accepted?
    Yes, in order to ensure your enrollment and place in the semester you are applying for, a $300 deposit will be required. Deposits can be made online, by wire transfer, certified bank check or money order. Notification will be sent to all accepted students in their acceptance packet.

  25. Do you offer academic support services for students?
    Yes, we have a dedicated team of professionals ready to assist students at our Learning Center. Center specialist are able to assist students with improving their writing, reading and math skills and a variety of other helpful skills like time management.

  26. Do you have an ESL program?
    No, at this time we do not but we do have two of our partner institutions, ELS and LSI located in the same building. We offer conditional admission for students who are enrolled in these programs and who have completed the required levels before gaining full admission.

  27. What is a cohort model?
    The unique interdisciplinary course of study integrates the College's Purpose-Centered System of Education that links theory to practice at each stage of the learning process. Through a cohort model, students are organized into peer learning communities to develop knowledge, skills and understanding. A cohort program groups students into the same program with the same classes. The number of grouped students can vary from degree program. These cohorts build strong relationships because they start the program and graduate from the program at the same time. This format of learning is team-based and is an invaluable skill set in today's workplace.

  28. Can I receive credits for A-levels, IB and AP?
    Yes, in most cases credits can be given for certain IB, A-level and AP courses. Courses will be evaluated upon review of your admission materials. Official examination results/scores should be sent directly from the official testing headquarters to the MCNY Office of Admission.

  29. Does the Norwegian 13th year of schooling exempt me from my first year at MCNY?
    Yes, in most cases credits can be given for the 13th year of schooling in a Norwegian curriculum. This will depend on your courses and results. Courses will be evaluated upon review of your admission materials. Official examination results/scores should be sent directly from the official testing headquarters to the MCNY Office of Admission.

  30. I understand that MCNY does not offer on campus housing but do I still need to show that I can provide for housing on my own?
    Yes, in order to be issued an I-20 to apply for a student visa in your home country, you will need to show proof that you can cover tuition expenses as well as the estimated expenses for housing and other fees. Although, MCNY does not directly charge you for these estimated expenses, all students should be able to demonstrate adequate funding for living and personal expenses apart from the cost of attending MCNY.

  31. If I want to send my SAT results to MCNY, what is the code required?
    Our CEEB code is 009769

  32. Can I send an official copy of my IELTS score through the British Council?
    Yes, you can have the Cambridge ESOL, the British Council or IDP:IELTS Australia send it directly to us.

  33. Can I have my TOEFL score results sent directly by ETS?
    yes, our ETS code is 2157

  34. With regards to the immunization card, do I have to fill out the specific form on the application or can I simply send a copy of my immunization card?
    You can use the form that is part of our application or you can use one provided by your doctor in home country. They must indicate that you have had your MMR1. You can receive your MMR2 here at a nearby free clinic or on campus if you haven't been administered the MMR2 in your home country.

  35. I would like to purchase international student health insurance. Do you have any recommended providers?
    You can purchase international student health insurance in your home country or use one of our approved international student insurance providers like International Student Students are encouraged to contact ISI directly with questions about the insurance plan that best fits their needs.

  36. I would like to purchase an international student Identity Card. Where can I purchase one?
    We recommend ISIC. ISIC provide students with discounts at popular tourist attractions, local merchants and even allows students to load money onto their card. In order to be eligible for an ISIC, you must be a student age 12 or over, currently enrolled at an accredited institution and matriculating towards a diploma or a degree. Continuing education and language school students are not eligible. The ISIC card is valid 1 year from date of issue. Once you enroll at MCNY, ISIC Cards can be purchased online or at several STA Travel locations throughout New York City. For more information, visit ISIC.

  37. Are there special requirements for the MSed Program?
    Yes, the program requires an interview with the program director. In addition, students must have an IELTS or TOEFL score that meets or exceeds our minimum requirements for admission. Other substitutions will not be accepted. Lastly, students must have their transcript evaluated by WES if their schooling has taken place outside the USA.

  38. Are there special requirements for the MPA Programs?
    Yes, the MPA in Public Affairs and Administration & MPA in Emergency & Disaster Management programs require an interview with the dean, assistant dean or director of the program in addition to transcripts evaluated by WES if a student's schooling has taken place outside the USA. Moreover, all students interested in the MPA in Public Affairs and Administration should have the following in mind:

    • An organization with which you may want to work for or are currently working in already in mind.
    • A sense of a problem facing that organization.
    • A relationship with a qualified individual within the organization who is willing to supervise you as you research and propose solutions to a problem facing the organization.

    To document the above mentioned, students will need to provide the following with their application:

    • A letter of agreement documenting that 21 hours of supervision in an appropriate administrative setting will be provided to the applicant by a qualified individual within the organization. A special form to document this is available by contacting
    • A field supervisor form that documents the qualified individual has a master degree and five years of professional experience deeming them appropriate to serve a supervisory role. A field supervisor verification form is available by contacting
  39. Are there special requirements for the MBA program? The MBA program may require some foundation courses at an additional cost if an interested applicant has no prior business acumen that can be documented on their transcript.

  40. Can you place me in communication with current students and faculty? Absolutely, whenever possible, qualified applicants can be connected with current students and faculty upon request.

  41. Can I transfer out of MCNY before or within the first semester? MCNY I-20 Transfer-Out Policy: Newly enrolled F-1 students are not permitted to transfer their I-20 out of MCNY to another institution before or during the first semester of their enrollment. F-1 students must attend and complete their entire first semester of full-time study at MCNY in order to transfer their I-20 to another institution the following semester. F-1 students who fail to enroll or attend their full-time course load or attempt to register under full-time study without authorization will be reported to US Immigration as "out-of-status" and will have their I-20s cancelled. Once the I-20 is cancelled, F-1 students must leave the US and return to their home country within 14 calendar days. MCNY is legally and institutionally protected to implement this policy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

       Google Plush  RSS
Mailing Address MCNY (60 West Street, New York, NY 10006 · 463 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY 10455)
Phone Number  (800) 33 THINK | 212 343 1234